The cross in this border design is known as a Fusilly, Mascly or Lozengy Cross, a cross with with four or five diamond shapes resembling spear heads. When the cross has four shapes it can symbolize the four evangelists, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, with Christ at the center.
This design was created specifically for vestments and is from the Embroidery Pattern Catalogue
, a publication offering iron-on embroidery transfers that was published in the mid to late 1800s by the Thomas Brown & Sons company of Manchester, England. Many of those traditional Christian patterns were hand drawn reproductions of designs from the 13th
- This design is available for the 4" x 4", 5" x 7", 6.25" x 10.25" and 7.75" x 11.75" hoops.
- The sewn out size for the 4" x 4" hoop is 3.85" W x 1.02" H with 3,569 stitches.
- The sewn out size for the 5" x 7" hoop is 6.59" W x 1.74" H with 7,017 stitches.
- The sewn out size for the 6.25" x 10.25" hoop is 10.02" W x 2.65" H with 11,842 stitches.
- The sewn out size for the 7.75" x 11.75" hoop is 11.53" W x 3.05" H with 15,195 stitches.
- This design has 4 thread colors.
- Click here for information about embroidery design selection and placement on communion linens.
You must have an embroidery machine to utilize our machine embroidery designs. We sell machine embroidery designs as electronic media (software) only. We do not sell embroidered "patches" or hard copy patterns.